|Police Director Marlou Chan (L) in a turn-over rites.|
By Mortz C. Ortigoza
DAGUPAN CITY – Without any explanation from the Philippine National Police, the transfer of command from Police Director Marlou Chan to Senior Superintendent Manuel Velasco for the police provincial office in Pangasinan has been postponed indefinitely.
"The hand over should be held last June 22 but has been post phoned indefinitely." according to Senior Inspector Ryan Manongdo as quoted by broadcaster RJ Jimenez of DWPR when he interviewed the PNP spokesman in Pangasinan.
Senior Superintendent Chan in a text message sent to this blogger said that there was an order for his relief last June 21, 2013.
Chan, who got the ire of Pangasinan Governor Amado T. Espino because of politics, has been rumored to be either the next chief of the Regional Special Operation Task Group or the chief of the regional intelligence command – both powerful posts.
Last year a similar incident of an aborted turn- over ceremony ensued when Senior Superintendent Mariel Magaway of the police intelligence command in Camp Crame was told by then Regional Police Director Jesus Franklin Bacayu that his appointment at the provincial command has been cancelled one hour before the ceremony where everybody in Pangasinan including Governor Espino, was already preparing to go there. A source who asked anonymity said that somebody in Pangasinan who has a closed tie with Secretary Mar Roxas of the Department of Interior & Local Government called the latter not to allow Magaway to take over from then Provincial Director Rosueto V. Ricaforte.
Another source told this paper that Velasco, through the intercession of his former superior a certain police general Victorio, won the recommendation from PNP Chief Alan Purisima. But Secretary Roxas asked the police hierarchy to forego the turn over in May 22.
Meanwhile, Chan said that despite the ceaseless pressures exerted by the political leadership of the province he could not just resign unilaterally from his post otherwise he would be charged with “abandonment of post” by the PNP.
The provincial director said that his appointment in the gargantuan province was not of his making.
“I was appointed by the police top brass as OIC provincial director and eventually full time provincial director”.
Chan, Chief Superintendent Ricardo Marquez and Director Catalino Cuy face an injunction case at the Regional Trial Court in Lingayen, Pangasinan after he was sued by Espino who questioned his appointment as full time police provincial chief as blatant violation of Republic Act 6975 (Department of the Interior & Local Government Act) where the governor appoint one of the three nominees submitted by Marquez.
The incumbent police director said that he was not intimidated by the Persona Non Grata resolution by the provincial council last June 10, 2013 since the injunction case has already been deliberated by lawyers at the RTC.
“The court is the mother of all cases and let us patiently wait for its wisdom whether I am validly holding my challenge post,” he stressed.