Saturday, May 19, 2018

Poor mechanic wins Kap race in P’gasinan


Says he ain’t got even money to buy votes


By Mortz C. Ortigoza

CALASIAO, Pangasinan – If there was a poor mechanic who won the presidency in Ramon Magsaysay, another poor mechanic became a punong barangay (village chief) of this Central Pangasinan village by beating three of his moneyed opponents.
Zaldy Barbiran Bauson, 44, said since he became a kagawad (council member) in 2013 of the more than 3,000 registered voters’s Barangay Macabito here, he had a moist eye for the top post of the village.


KAP, GOFER - Newly elected punong barangay (village chairman) Zaldy B. Bauson (right) poses with his errand boy Edwin Garcia. He said he will not appoint Edwin as Secretary or Treasurer because just like him, the guy has a modicum of education. “I will not even appoint him as tanod (village guard), but I’ll commission him as my personal bodyguard,” the village chief, a poor man, who did not buy votes last poll quipped. Bauson won the May 14 Barangay Election without even a slate for kagawads or council members and platform. He was pitted with three rivals who were moneyed. MORTZ C. ORTIGOZA


“Gusto ko talaga lumaban ng kapitan para tumulong (I want to aspire for the office so I can help my village mates),” he said in the thick typical accented Pangasinan’s dialect.
He cited that it was his hunch that he would win even he ran as independent and without a complete slate for council members.
Naramdaman ko na mananalo ako. Parang God’s Will talagang mananalo kahit independent lang ako kako,” the new barangay captain (old title of the chief executive), whose look and demeanor is an epitome’ of the downtrodden, said.

Bauson finished only one year auto-mechanic course at Pangasinan Merchant Marine Academy in Dagupan City.

He cited that his dedication to accompany his constituents to go to a provincial government hospital in Barangay Bolingit in San Carlos City and assisted them for their claim at the Social Security Services in Dagupan City were factors that endeared him to the people in his barangay.
He said he was doing this altruism for the last five years when he became a council member in the 2013 village election.
“I said to myself because of the people I helped and assisted in the hospital and the SSS I will try to run for public office,” he said in Tagalog.
He cited a day after the election that an indigent sought help from him because a kin was hospitalized.

“P200 bigay ko kasi may tira pa ako dito. Minsan P500. Hindi lang pera inaano ko. Serbisyo ko ng sarili, sasamahan ko sila sa hospital kung ano ang dapat gagawin (I shelled out P200, the bills what I had left in my wallet. I sometimes gave P500. I did not help financially but I accompanied them to hospital so they know what to do there)”.
He vehemently protested when asked if he bought votes and fed supporters with meals just like other bets during the nine days campaign period before the May 14 poll.

“Ay wala! Ha, ha, ha. Ano ang ipakain ko? Pag dito ang tropa inum lang ng gin (No! Ha ha ha. I don’t have money to feed them.Whenever my clique were here we drink gin. We contented ourselves here with two-by-two Marka Demonyo (slang for poor man’s gin Ginebra San Miguel)”.
During the campaing sorties supporters of his rivals ridiculed him because he could not shell-out sum to whet their appetites.

“Maraming nagpaparinig like Kuatro Kantos. Ay hindi ako ganyan. May nagsasabi sa kabila mamili ganito ganito. Ayaw ko kako ha ha ha! Kung iboto nila ako iboboto nila ako kako (Many made overtures like I have to buy them gins. I told them I was not like that. Others told me to buy votes. I told them I don’t like it. If they want to vote me they just vote me)”.

As a kagawad he earned only nine thousand pesos monthly’s honorarium from the government while he got only roughly twenty thousand pesos a month as mechanic.
He works at his house as evident by two sedans where their engine covers have been raised and the car’s tools and some parts of the engines sprawled in front of his dirty white painted bungalow’s front yard.
“Sometime clients could not see me here because I was already at other places repairing other people’s vehicles”.
He said car repair business is not lucrative regular job.

He was smarting to this town’s mayor Joseph Arman Bauzon when he was told by the latter to run instead as council member under re-elective Barangay Captain (popular title of a village chief) Macmac Zulueta.
“Ay oo. Pumunta ako sa office ni mayor. Ang kandidato nila si Macmac (Zulueta). Kaya sabi ko, akala ko ako ang e-indorse nila (Yes, I was smarting. I went to the office of Mayor Bauzon. His candidate was Macmac Zulueta. I told him I thought he would endorse me),” he said.
Sources said he would be supporting comebacking mayor Mark Macanlalay in the May 13, 2019 election versus Mayor Bauzon whom he supported when Bauzon ran and won the mayorship contest in May 9, 2016 election.
Since he did his stumps without a platform, the new chairman said he will just follow the campaign promises of rival Paul Baya who was the poor cellar dweller in the four cornered contest participated by Zulueta, Aying Gabat, and Baya.

“What he promised during the campaign I will replicate them just like the purchase of a tricycle as village patrol. I asked also the elected council members to cooperate with me”.
Three of the kagawads came from the ticket of Zulueta while two came from Gabat and two ran as an independent.
Bauson would not comment who among his rivals resorted to vote buying just to win a post that pays eleven thousand pesos monthly from the general funds collected by the village from the national and local governments.
This year the village has more than three million budgets in its coffer.
                     

VIDEO:Poor mechanic wins Barangay Kapitan race in Pangasinan





READ: How a Bet Buy Votes, Win the Barangay Poll

No comments:

Post a Comment