Friday, June 23, 2023

Sec. Estrella’s Province Gets Less Farm Eqpt. from DAR

By Mortz C. Ortigoza

Before I asked Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) Secretary Conrad Estrella my main poser that bothered me after he inequitably distributed the P42.487 million farm equipment and machinery (FEM) like the 4WD tractors brush cutter with harvester, hauling trucks and others at the expense of his province’s Pangasinan, I told him I was reinvigorated and inspired by his earlier pronouncement about his management of the department.

Ang Department of Agrarian Reform, sa pangunguna ni Secretary Conrado Estrella, III ay namahagi ng farm machineries at equipment (FMEs) sa mahigit 100 Agrarian Reform Beneficiaries Organizations (ARBOs) mula sa Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, La Union, at Pangasinan.
Ang pamamahagi ng FMEs na may halagang P42.487 milyon ay ipinapatupad sa ilalim ng Sustainable and Resilient Agrarian Reform Communities (SuRe ARCs) Project na layuning makapagbigay ng farm mechanization projects na makakatulong para mapalakas ang produksyong pang-agrikultura at mapataas ang kita ng mga agrarian reform beneficiaries (ARBs). (Photo credit and caption: DAR)


“Hindi mawala-wala sa isip ko ang sinambit niyo kanina noong may lumapit sa inyo na mag-asawang Ilocano na sinabi nila kung paano sila nakipagbuno sa hirap ng buhay na kanilang sinusuong,” I told the Ilocano and Rosales, Pangasinan resident Estrella who is a sexagenarian during his visit at the Provincial Training and Development Center II in Lingayen, Pangasinan for the distribution to the agrarian reform beneficiaries organizations (ARBOs) from Ilocos Sur, Ilocos Norte, La Union, and Pangasinan of farm machineries and equipment (FME) worth P42.487.

To further appreciate the anecdote of the Secretary, here’s my transcript of his pronouncement where I asked my Ilocano readers to forgive me if I did not get them all correct here:

“Ada pay nangyarasaas kanyak data na manalon. Sir, kakaasi kami nagregat ti biag mi. Akaselyo ket pati saluyot binbingayen me. Ti pang regat: SA, ti pang-aldaw; LU, ti pangrabii…, (the crowd -probably mostly prurient -  shouted and guffawed) YUT! (This author’s translation:”A farmer confided to him. Sir, life is too tough for me and my wife, we even divide the saluyot (herbaceous vine) to survive our every day’s struggle. During breakfast “SA”, during lunch “LU” and during supper…  (the crowded shouted and guffawed) YUT!”.

The obviously hungry Estrella – it was already past lunch - lightened up and was amused by the first blast of my question.

***

Let’s go now to the jugular!

I asked the resident of Rosales, Pangasinan Secretary why Pangasinan got less farm materials and equipment (FME) in terms of amount compared to what the provinces of La Union, Ilocos Sur and Ilocos Norte.

Pangasinan got P17, 539,000 while the two Ilocos provinces and La Union had P8,316,000 each. Pangasinan with a population of 3,163,190 (2020 PSA) is far bigger in demography than La Union, Ilocos Sur and Ilocos Norte with 822,352 (2020 PSA), 706,009 (2020 PSA) and 609,588 (2020 PSA), respectively.

“Pangasinan should have P70, 156, 000 and not the miniscule P17, 539, 000 because the population of the province is four times than each of the three smaller provinces”.


Secretary Estrella retorted: “Unang-una mawalang galang na rin po. Hindi pa naman tayo mamatay bukas e kaya maghintay lang kayo (With your indulgence, first of all I’ll not die tomorrow thus I beg my constituents to have patient to wait (for more equipment)). You’ve not seen anything yet”.

DAR Region -1 Director Maria Ana Francisco: It is just the first semester of the year mahaba pa…

Estrella: Mahabang panahon pa iyan (We have still a long way to go), Boss.

READ MY OTHER BLOG:



MORTZ C. ORTIGOZA

Follow

I am a twenty years seasoned Op-Ed Political Writer in various newspapers and Blogger exposing government corruptions, public officials's idiocy and hypocrisies, and analyzing local and international issues. I have a master’s degree in Public Administration and professional government eligibility. I taught for a decade Political Science and Economics in universities in Metro Manila and cities of Urdaneta, Pangasinan and Dagupan. Follow me on Twitter @totoMortz or email me at totomortz@yahoo.com.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment