Saturday, August 20, 2022

Moneyed Politicians Can Lose If They’re Brash

 By Mortz C. Ortigoza

I was at a party recently and my politically perceptive friend and I talked about the power-play of personalities in a particular first class town.

In the last election the then incumbent mayor there - whose father was into a big time construction business with the provincial government -  lost by more than two thousand votes to the multi-millionaire rival.

The former hizzoner failed his reelection bid because his P1,500 per voter buying spree among the tens of thousands of electorates ran short to the rival who bought votes at P2,000 per voter.


Salamabit, it happened in the 2019 election where the workaholic mayor lost because she votes’ buy at P2,500 each of the electorates while her rival shelled out P3,000 per voter. The mostly vulnerable, gullible, and corrupt voters forget her mammoth accomplishments in her six years’ stint and vote instead the other mayorship bet because he outbidded her by P500.

I told my pal in that party – where we quaffed Johnny Walker - that superiority of money against an opponent is not a not a sine qua non in winning the reelection if the two duke out in the 2025 mayorship derby.

“Look at that multi-millionaire mayor of another municipality,” I cited. Despite the wherewithal, the hizzoner still lost to the challenger – a former mayor – because the voters just took the monies of the incumbent in the eve of the poll but vote for the rival who could empathize with their feelings and insecurities. The beaten brash mayor – reports reached me – had the propensity to embarrass the department heads and staff of the local government unit and even tore a document of a barangay chairman who made a call at the office.

“I resigned in September when the mayor sat in June 30 (2019). I saw how the chief executive berated and humiliated even the department heads in public. I don't want to give the mayor a chance to embarrass me, too,” a lady staff, who was identified with the former hizzoner, told me on conditioned of anonymity when I bumped into her.

But to the mayor who bought vote at P1,500 but lost in the May 13, 2022 election, he can recapture the municipal perch in May 2025 if the present occupant emulates the overbearing attitude of that sitting mayor who lost.

“Whatever amount of wherewithal you have if the masa could not stomach your attitude, they will just get your money and vote for your opponent who have inferior capacity to buy the preference of the voters,” my friend opined.

The chance of the former young mayor to capture the municipal hall is dim, my pal added however. He has no job to earn him funds for his next bid.

He just piggy back on the wealth of his parent. A phenomenon in Philippines politics where even an “idiotic” daughter or wife can be a Congress member or whatever because the family is in power already or has tens of millions of pesos to bankroll the hustings.

Nincompoop politician wins because idiotic voters can be bought – I usually quipped in an animated huddle with with pals or while we swigged booze.

“His father, a contractor, is out of his lucrative business too because his patron the then governor has been yanked out of office in the last May election,” I added.

This rich source of fund was one of the reasons the young mayor bludgeoned his uncle – a seasoned long reigning mayor in the burgeoning town – in the May 2016 election and decked out his challenger cousin – a former hizzoner, too – in the 2019 poll.

READ MY OTHER BLOG:

One of the Best Experiences in My Life


MORTZ C. ORTIGOZA

Follow

I am a twenty years seasoned Op-Ed Political Writer in various newspapers and Blogger exposing government corruptions, public officials's idiocy and hypocrisies, and analyzing local and international issues. I have a master’s degree in Public Administration and professional government eligibility. I taught for a decade Political Science and Economics in universities in Metro Manila and cities of Urdaneta, Pangasinan and Dagupan. Follow me on Twitter @totoMortz or email me at totomortz@yahoo.com.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment